[BlindMath] request for advice

Kendra Schaber redwing731 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 15:13:37 UTC 2018

Hi all!
 That’s not right!!! You have the right to request your documents, tests, homework and all matereals in the alternet form of your choice. Ok. Readers do have their purpis but they are humans so therefore, they are not always perfict. Personally, I have had the best luck with readers in the school setting compared to the home setting. I have had more than my share of bad reader experiences in the home so I totally know what you mean when some one tells me that readers don’t work for you. That’s fine!!! What isn’t fine is that they are not keeping up with the high but important standards of the college classroom. In my book, everywhere needs to keep the standards that the class room setting is suposed to follow. But even the class room setting has problems like this one. This is why I believe in planning ahead as much as possible with such matereals. You are one student, not 800 of them. What’s the problem with having one test done in braille when it can be sent to a braille transcription service? The other fact that sited people all across the board tipically does not understand is that there is a lot of information out there. Ok, everyone gets this consept. But the sited person does not understand at all that just by being blind, they are literlarly taking on the burden of judging for you, the blind adult, what information is the right information for you. Unfortunently, this problem greatly limits what you can do as a blind person who is seeking the top notch accessibility all across the board. Mind you, I was almost in teers myself yesterday when I was addressing better accessibility in a non blind social justice environmental advocasy orgunization myself. This very idea came up in that meeting. Because the sited world also takes on the burdens of the (right) information for the blind student, they are also limiting without any knowledge of it on their end, what information that we, the (blind adult) can choose from and also, can altamently use when doing things like taking tests. Altamently, it’s your right to the freedom of choice to make for yourself, not the freedom of choice for the sited person in question to make that choice for you. Come on!!! That junk is totally not right!!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this E Mail!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber,
 Chemeketa Community College,
 350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
 Home email:
Redwing731 at gmail.com
 Chemeketa Community College Email:
 Kschaber at my.Chemeketa.edu
Phone:
971-599-9991
"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear" Author Unknown.
 Sent From My iPhone SE.
 Sent from My Gmail Email.
 Get Outlook Express for IOS.