[BlindMath] [ctan-ann at ctan.org: New on CTAN: axessibility]

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Fri Jul 13 20:52:51 UTC 2018

Hello Jason, Bill and others.

On Jul 13, 2018, at 10:00 PM, blindmath-request at nfbnet.org<mailto:blindmath-request at nfbnet.org> wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 13:21:59 +0000
From: "White, Jason J" <jjwhite at ets.org<mailto:jjwhite at ets.org>>
To: Bill Dengler <codeofdusk at gmail.com<mailto:codeofdusk at gmail.com>>
Cc: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics
<blindmath at nfbnet.org<mailto:blindmath at nfbnet.org>>
Subject: Re: [BlindMath] [ctan-ann at ctan.org<mailto:ctan-ann at ctan.org>: New on CTAN:
axessibility]

Thank you, Bill, for the sample. So it doesn?t tag the PDF file, but it does capture the source text of the mathematical expressions.

I can reproduce your findings with NVDA. Which PDF reading tools did you try under Mac OS? It would be worth testing in Preview, Adobe Reader, and possibly the PDF reader in Google Chrome, although I suspect results will be the same (i.e., nothing).

Please try these PDFs:

 http://web.science.mq.edu.au/~ross/TaggedPDF/Week13-2017-tute-questions-actualtext.pdf
 http://web.science.mq.edu.au/~ross/TaggedPDF/Week13-2017-with-solutions-actualtext.pdf

These are fully tagged PDFs, valid for PDF/UA-1, which have the LaTeX source as attributes of  /Formula  tags,
both as /Alt  text and  /ActualText  attributes.

The PDF 1.7 specifications say to use /Alt , but NVDA seems not to follow this recommendation,
taking its feed for screen-reading instead from the /ActualText .

Other PDFs on that web-page   http://web.science.mq.edu.au/~ross/TaggedPDF/
(that is, the full journal sample articles) are built using  /Alt  for mathematical content as LaTeX source.

If you all can confirm that using  /ActualText  works better, then I’ll rebuild those using both also.

I want to build more PDFs this way, and would appreciate any comments on any aspects of the tagging
and accessibility of the content. Such feedback can be as detailed, or loose, as you like.

It can be critical of any piece, however small or seemingly insignificant.
Screen shots, or any other form of data capture (e.g., audio files, movies, Braille dump or whatever)
would be most welcome, to locate precisely just what it is that you find not satisfactory.