[BlindMath] Typing Math and Science Quickly and Understandably

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 2 16:17:07 UTC 2018

Hi Bhavya,

If I'm understanding your email you don't use braille.  Braille is something
that would be worth your while to learn since it reduces the cognitive load.

The most compact linear math system is Nemeth braille math which is more
complete than ASCII math.  You can use it for your own notes even if you
don't read and write braille or use a braille keyboard!  What you would do
is to enter a well-known braille transliteration from a standard keyboard
using 63 of the ASCII keyboard characters. I would suggest North American
ASCII braille since it is aligned with Nemeth math as much as possible.

There is a standard spoken form of Nemeth math called MathSpeak. This system
has been tested against other versions of spoken math and found to be
superior.  Dr. Nemeth said it only took him about 15 minutes to train
sighted people who didn't even know math to read printed math aloud to him
using MathSpeak and he could type the corresponding braille math about as
fast as they could speak. Here's an example of the fraction one half in
MathSpeak.  startfrac one over two endfrac.  Here's how you would type it.
I'll put spaces between the names of the characters and then the characters
themselves without space.  questionmark one over two hashmark ?1/2#

I know that sounds funny at first.  But the print question mark character
and the corresponding braille cell have similar shapes; both look like an
upside down letter ell. So if you were reading braille with your fingers you
would feel that special shape as a reminder that that the next expression is
a fraction.  The braille cell represented by the print hashmark looks like a
backwards ell so that makes sense as reminder that the fraction has ended.

This is a recent page is about MathSpeak.  You may have to select the plus
sign at the upper right to get the entire article with its additional links
to more information about MathSpeak to display properly.
https://www.washington.edu/doit/what-mathspeak

You also asked about chemistry. You might want to consider one of the
standard methods which has the advantage of software support to display it
in a standard manner for sighted people.  Here's an introductory article.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_molecular-input_line-entry_system

Best wishes,
Susan Jolly