[BlindMath] Typing Math and Science Quickly and Understandably

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu May 3 23:09:25 UTC 2018

Hi Brandon,

Take out all the backslashes in the example you sent through that aren't part of a mathematical expression. White space does all that is needed for line breaks, indenting etc. in markdown documents.

You can't change the cumbersome nature of the LaTeX content for equations, but I suggest using *x* instead of the more common $x$ within paragraphs because the font is so similar that it doesn't matter to the sighted audience but the conversion to italics from the stars is not spoken by a screen reader while the conversion to math mode from use of dollars is announced. This suggestion does break the rules for semantic correctness, but the distraction that is caused by the screen reader telling me x was math content can often detract from the overall reading experience of the final document especially in sentences where there are plenty of elements using simple mathematical notation. (You can't do this for super or subscripts so easily, or if the element needs a {} construct for example.

One of the major pluses for encouraging my colleagues and anyone else preparing material that might be read by a blind person is that the author does not have to think about accessibility during document preparation. The access is built in so often because markdown forces an author to at least know they didn't add an alt tag for a graphic because they left some brackets empty. They often don't know what they've done (positive or negative) in reality so occasionally, some helpful reminders are required. <smiles> Markdown won't stop people choosing daft text for hyperlinks such as "here" but that's a societal issue not a mathematical one.

Compare the simplicity of markdown to  the pain to get an alt tag added to a graphic inserted into a LaTeX document. Yes it is possible, but it requires some additional work by the author if the document is to be born accessible or some post  hoc editing by a human to build in that access. I can do the former, but as a blind person the latter option is annoying in HTML and impossible if the output file is in pdf.

As it happens, I did write up some starting suggestions for markdown documents which are tailored to people using the R variant of markdown. Head to
https://r-resources.massey.ac.nz/Rmarkdown/

HTH
Jonathan