[BlindMath] Math Query/planning a degree program for Kendra

Janet Bean beanj at tsbvi.edu
Wed Nov 14 16:04:21 UTC 2018

Hello Kendra,
I have been following your questions about planning your schedule of
courses with great interest. I don't have all the answers for you, and I
don't think anyone will, because part of the college experience is a
student (you) assimilating information and making your own decisions.
First, as a math teacher, I am thrilled to see you entering a STEM field
and to see your desire to do well in your math classes!
Second, there is no perfect order to take classes to fulfill a degree
requirement. There are parameters you must work between such as limited
offerings by the college and prerequisites, but there will also be personal
preferences, like your life outside of school, your stamina, and financial
considerations.
I have a few suggestions:
Choose your advisor. They will be a tremendous help to map out your degree
plan--this is their job. But before you meet with your advisor, gather some
information. Talk with your high school math teachers. These people have
seen you work. And ask them to be honest--you don't want empty praise. Ask
them what they felt were your strengths and your weaknesses.
Next, take some time to reflect on your ultimate goal. Why do you want to
study climatology? Do you want to do research? Do you want to influence
policy? Do you want to be a spokesperson? Do you *really* like math? In
high school I *loved *math and all my aptitude tests pointed me to a field
in math and science, so I chose chemical engineering. But even though I
loved math (and actually still do), some of my college math courses were
hard--second and third semester calculus courses were brutal. I'm not
saying to give up, just be prepared for some tough times.
Last, take a deep breath, and try to relax. Your desire to gather
information points toward a scientific mind--you're going to do well.
I'm excited for you setting off on this great adventure.
Take care,
Janet

Janet C. Bean
Curriculum Teacher