[BlindMath] Math content over multiple lines in webpages

Robin Williams Robin.Williams at atass-sports.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 11:20:05 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm having trouble when reading expressions on webpages that are split over multiple lines, using various browsers under JAWS 2018. For example, there is one such expression (the complementary cumulative distribution function) in section 2.2 of this Wikipedia page on the exponential distribution:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_distribution#Memorylessness
These expressions would typically be generated with something like the align or eqnarray commands in LaTeX, certainly in the case of Wikipedia.
I have contacted Freedom Scientific about this - or, more specifically, my UK vendor (Sight and Sound). We didn't get very far, and I'm not sure they fully appreciated the problem.
I would be interested to know whether other people experience the same problem with JAWS, if anyone knows of a workaround, and the performance of other screenreaders (particularly NVDA), which I currently don't use, but am giving serious consideration.

With best wishes,
Robin