[BlindMath] Accessible Calculators:

kperry at blinksoft.com kperry at blinksoft.com
Wed Nov 28 14:11:21 UTC 2018

First this is parts where you should read the manual.  If you are graphing on the Orion TI-84 you use trace mode not graph mode.  If you use Graph mode your cursor will not stick to the graph.  Using trace mode means your cursor follows the graph.  So as you move right and left after you graph it reads the points you are on the graph.  If you are in tone mode it plays a tone if you are in speech mode it speaks the x and why as you move through them.

As for the resources for blind users.  Have you went to the resources page found at tech.aph.org/gc
Then follow the resources link?  There are a lot of resources there just for blind people.  With that said When you use help mode the keys say what are on the keys.  With that and just about any you tube video on the web on the TI-84 Plus can be used to teach you about the calculator.     I don't disagree we need more tutorial videos and for using access with the TI-84 so please suggest some subjects you would like to see.  With that said 90% of the stuff can be done without changing accessibility settings. The calculator was meant to   be used as anyone else does.  I learned to enter numbers in lists just buy following a few videos on statistics  online.  With that said the entire TI-84 book was recorded on your USB stick from Recordings from the blind and if you find the section on putting data in lists I think you can easily learn to do it.    If you are taking a class you can ask your instructor.  With that said I just hit stat and then went to edit and added data to a list.   Now when it comes to voices I have to ask you what your willing to pay for a calculator.  I can tell you the calculator would be more than $300 more expensive if we went with a Nuance like speech synth.  WE do try to make tools that are affordable, look nice, and sound nice.  With that said the synth on it is not that bad.

Ken