[BlindMath] Two questions for Kendra

easjolly at ix.netcom.com easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 3 19:08:15 UTC 2019

Hi Kendra,

I went back to school at the age of 31 in order to pursue a different career
so I know it is hard but it worked out well for me and I wish you the best.

Reading the things you've written reminded me of my first career teaching
high school chemistry.  I still remember it could be hard to figure out why
a student was having problems. I found that it helped to ask questions and
really listen to the student's answer so I'm suggesting two questions to
have your helpers ask you.

First question. The helper says three numbers and asks you which is the min
and which is the max. You answer just from thinking; no writing and no
calculator.

Second question. The helper says seven numbers and tells you to write them
down in braille and then asks you which is the min and which is the max. You
answer from thinking, reading and writing; again no calculator.

I'll be interested to hear what's been learned from this exercise.

Sincerely,
Susan Jolly