[BlindMath] Questions regarding stats

Emily Schlenker eschlenker at cox.net
Sun Jul 21 17:09:48 UTC 2019

1.  What is best option for reading text that has embedded insert boxes?  Can have a pdf if text and possibly an e-text. Any PDF must be tagged for accessibility, this can be done with acrobat or even Microsoft word. Not sure about the insert boxes, the student may have to just produce a separate homework outside of the PDF.

2.  Best option for utilizing tables? The NVDA screen reader, which is free, seems to read tables very well as long as I have used it.

3.  Limited proficiency with jaws.  Jaws not recognizing greek math characters. I always use NVDA when I am doing math, but everything depends on how the content was produced. NVDA will read math produced with math ML.

4.  How to produce output for instructor? This can be done with a simple text editor like notepad, but it can be done better with Microsoft word, a piece of software called MathType, an ad on called math player, and the student in question learning laTex. The second option will produce beautiful math that is easily read by the instructor.

I hope this helps. I know it probably sounds overwhelming. If the student is newly blind, there will have to be a steep learning curve. Does the student read braille?
Good luck,
Emily Schlenker 316-644-4227