[BlindMath] Issues With Math Player

Bhavya shah bhavya.shah125 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 03:01:51 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I am facing a number of inconveniences in reading mathematical content
with Math Player 4.0 and NVDA 2020.3. I have configured Math Player to
read in the blindness, ClearSpeak and Terse modes.
* It reads the same symbol differently in different contexts, often
incorrectly. It reads the colon used while defining functions as
'ratio' and I would personally much prefer if the colon was
universally read just as colon rather than as 'ratio', 'such that' and
'maps'. To be clear, the colon is just one example of a more prevalent
issue. I like to speak and hear Math in concise forms rather than the
most contextually and conventionally appropriate manner. But while
screen readers have features like dictionary manager and speech
dictionaries, Math Player does not have something similar.
* There is a great deal of pausing while reading anything, even simple
expression, to an extent that it serves as a slowdown. As someone who
uses fast speech synthesis, I find the pauses between parts of an
expression jarring. There doesn't seem to be any way to disable or
reduce these pauses either.
The underlying concern common to all of these is that as it stands,
Math Player is not very customizable and it is not clear if there are
any plans to update or maintain it in the future. Given that, I have
the following questions:
* Are there some hacky work-arounds to get around the issues I outlined above?
* Do any alternatives to Math Player exist today? Even if such
alternatives don't address my concerns currently, if they are active
projects, there is at least the hope that the customizability I seek
could get implemented in the future.

I would truly appreciate any assistance!

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah