[BlindMath] Short introduction and Octave question

Bernhard Stöger bernhard.stoeger at jku.at
Mon Feb 10 11:50:38 UTC 2020

Dear list members,
I am Bernhard Stoeger, blind mathematician from Austria - not Australia -, now working as a computer scientist with main interest in math accessibility for blind individuals. I was already on thist list several years ago, and I am sure that some of you may know me from events such as ICCHP.

Here a question on Octave: I worked with it some years ago, using version 3.6.4, only in the command line mode. Now a student approaches me, wanting to use it in the current 5.2.0 version. While his sighted teacher suggested the GUI version to him, I found that the GUI shipping with Octave from the GNU distribution is inaccessible - at least in ist default configuration.

Here the question: Is anygbody of you aware of either a possibility to configure the current GUI towards accessibility, or of an older Octave GUI, perhaps even one from a third party developer, which might be accessible with a screen reader?

Thanks a lot for an answer, and kind regards, from

Bernhard Stoeger