[BlindMath] When making a graph, when is it appropriate to log adjust the values on the y-axis?

Joseph C. Lininger joe at pcdesk.net
Wed Feb 19 02:34:39 UTC 2020

Emily,
Unless the assignment tells you to plot using a logarithmic scale or
similar, you probably shouldn't do so. If the instructor wanted you to
normalize the data in some way or to plot it on a logarithmic scale, she
would have said so.

Logarithmic scales come up in lots of applications. Here's one example
of when you'd use a logarithmic scale.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/naomirobbins/2012/01/19/when-should-i-use-logarithmic-scales-in-my-charts-and-graphs/#cd967e35e67b

This is just one sample from Forbes; there are several other
applications. Those of us in the computer science field frequently work
with base 2 logarithms, to provide a second example.

Hope this clarifies somewhat; it can actually be an in depth topic.

Joe