[BlindMath] Is Doing Mathematics in Braille Practical?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Sun Jan 19 17:56:54 UTC 2020

Saaqib,

The answer to your question will depend some on the individual.  I am assuming the upside down frame you are referring to is what we sometimes call a slate and stylus.  Doing math with in that way is difficult but possible, but one has to be able to handle more of it in one's head.  There are mathematical slates that let you open the slate to look at what you have written without the paper falling out, and that would make the job easier.  Still, getting a Perkins or other brailler would likely work better than using a slate.  Years ago, I was in a situation when I had to do some pretty complex algebra on a slate and I managed.  I used Nemeth Code, and UEB math does require a little more writing, but of course you might well develop some of your own shortcuts.

Since you use a computer, it might be helpful to put a matrix in excel and then write some of your interim steps with the slate.  Maybe you could do some of the calculations on the computer as well as long as that is permitted by your instructor.

Although I've tried to answer your question specifically, looking at other tools that can be used on a computer might be worth it as well.  You may find a combination of braille and computer to work.  Unfortunately, there just isn't one answer that works for everybody.  Most of us who have taken math as blind people, regardless of the tools we have available, have developed some of our own shortcuts and approaches that worked for each of us.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson