[BlindMath] Question for LaTeX users

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jun 2 21:55:09 UTC 2020

Hello Robert,

Just quickly...

Check out http://www.access2science.com/
And the archives to this list because this topic has been raised fairly often over the years (less often recently).

TeXnicCenter does have a way to improve its accessibility for blind users, somewhere buried in its menus. I haven't used it for a few years now though, but certainly did so using JAWS and NVDA (before 2016).

Jason's suggestion of command line is possible on Windows, but perhaps it is best left to the tech geeks not novice users. I certainly use these techniques, although not from the actual command line because I put the same commands into a batch file which is considerably more efficient.

The resulting pdf won't be readable, but there are several projects to improve the accessibility of the content within the generated pdf. They all require additional packages, not just the base installation of TexWorks or MikTex as far as I am aware. The greatest access still comes from converting to HTML.

Tutorials offered at the NFB Convention in 2017 will be well worth tracking down, as will others held in conjunction with the International Conference on Computers Helping People (ICCHP) through its Summer University events.

I suspect you will find there has been little progress of substance since 2017, but you might find something of value somewhere.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Former LaTeX geek