[BlindMath] non-STEM background want to reach Mathematics A level

Ishe Chinyoka ishe at chinyoka.com
Tue Nov 17 09:02:38 UTC 2020

Hi K,

It looks like the Braille maths you used was based on British
mathematics notation. So the standard to use these days is the Unified
English Braille (UEB). Thus, where it used to be dots 5-6 and lower f
for plus, it is now just dot 5 and lower f. the same applies for
multiplication sign and the minus sign. However, the division sign is
now dot 5 and dots 3-4.

You can find more in the Unified English Braille manual at the ICEB site
(http://www.iceb.org/).

As for how to get to speed with A-level maths, this depends with the
content in your country. However, my advice would be to get hold of the
syllabus, study the material using online sources, local study groups
and of course asking questions on this list. You can also try to get
some Braille books from Bookshare if your country is fortunate enough to
be part of the Bookshare regions.

If you are prepared to invest in your Maths education, you can also
check out with the Great courses (TTC) fast-paced offerings on Algebra 1
and 2, Trigonometry, High School Math 1 and 2.

The other source I found useful for someone just trying to find out his
or her bearings are the Math Tutor lessons at www.mathtutordvd.com. In
my opinion, this provides clear lessons such that even if you are blind,
you can follow along what the tutor will be presenting: he speaks what
he will be writing on the board.

HTH,

Ishe

On Tuesday, 17 November 2020, at 08:47, Khalid K via BlindMath <blindmath at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I come from a non-STEM background. The last time I studied math was at high
> school over 10 years ago. Even at our school, sadly, they used to teach
> blind students highly reduced math curriculum compared to what sighted
> students were taking. I used to get full mark in math with the said caveat
> --abridged  math courses! It might be worth mentioning that all other VI
> students in my class were just barely getting the passing marks in math at
> school. I used to study math in braille.
>

> Keeping this in mind, I have a few questions:
>

> -          I want to apply for a master's degree. I should include Evidence
> to demonstrate that I have suitable mathematical skills (to at least
> Mathematics A level).
>
> -          So my first question, how can I find out what is my current
> mathematical level?
>
> -          Once I find out my current mathematical skills, how can I take it
> from there to reach A level math level?
>
> -          Nowadays, how VI people learn math? Is braille code for math the
> same since I was in high school, or things changed. For instance, I learnt
> that plus sign is dots 5&6 followed by low F (dots 2,3&5). The
> multiplication sign is dots 5&6 followed by low H. The minus sign is dots
> 5&6 followed by dots 3&6.
>
> -          What is the fastest way and most beneficial way to work on my
> current math knowledge to reach at least A level math standard.
>

> Any help, ideas, tips and tricks for a  completely math novice are greatly
> appreciated. Please let me know if you require any further details.
>

> All the best,

Ishe
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.