[BlindMath] Math Speak

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Sep 8 21:41:29 UTC 2020

Hi,

Thanks Neil for the added information. I think it is important to remember that Dr Nemeth worked in a pre-computational era in mathematics. At that time, any statistics courses that existed were mathematical in nature. We're very definitely a comfortable distance from those times...

The question arose from a need to teach statistics. I suggest that there might therefore be some benefit in all parties (student, teacher, and support staff) reading a paper Theodor Loots and I wrote five years ago for the Journal of Statistics Education, entitled "Advice from blind teachers on how to teach statistics to blind students"

A quite readable pre-print version exists at
https://r-resources.massey.ac.nz/papers/JSE.v23.n3/

While it was written over five years ago, I haven't found anything in there that I would write much differently today.

In contrast, I've recently looked at a conference paper I delivered in Japan back in late 2009, and can only reflect that the period of greatest change in my lifetime in university education of statistics must have occurred in the period from about 2008 to 2014.

Jonathan