[BlindMath] Help in Determining Engineering Design Accommodations

nspohn0 at gmail.com nspohn0 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 15:57:36 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I have struggled to get the proper accommodations at my university for my
Intro to Engineering Design class. I had to switch professors after three
weeks into the semester. My new professor wants to work with me, but he does
not know how we can accommodate for using Solidworks. Here is what my
professor told me:

My professor has informed me that the class is continuing to use Solidworks
for a project. The class is given a tutorial that teaches students how to
design the form of a robot. (i.e. hip, torso, etc.). The robot project uses
the tools in Solidworks to learn the software and design philosophy of CAD
software. After this, about halfway through the semester, students will do a
personal project where they create something using their own imagination or
try to make a digital model of a physical object of interest to them. (ex.
Boat, bike, favorite video game character, etc.). My professor says the
personal project accounts for 20% of the class.

I know I have asked before about what to do in this situation, but I believe
I am in a position where my university is willing to listen. If OpenScad is
the only 3D CAD program accessible to the blind, I was thinking of asking
the university to find someone to teach me the program so I can learn a CAD
software. However, the head of the engineering department told me that the
point of the class is to learn the following concepts:

1.           Apply engineering design to address design opportunities.

2.           Use systems thinking and apply it to engineering design.

3.           Develop professional skills necessary for becoming a successful
engineer.

4.           Communicate engineering concepts and designs.

5.           Gain experience in hands-on fabrication while developing a
"maker" mindset.

What you don't see in these overarching objectives is "learn SolidWorks".
What you do see is to be able to communicate concepts and designs and to get
hands-on fabrication experience.  So, why do we have the students learn
SolidWorks?  It is not to make draftspeople of them, but rather so they can
communicate their concepts and designs and to be able to use a tool
(CAD/SolidWorks) in the development of that maker mindset.  In that sense,
other tools/modes are possible.

Should I be asking for someone to teach OpenScad to me so I can communicate
my ideas? With that, should I ask for a human reader that can describe what
I have drawn on my screen? Are there other tools or is this the best route?
I am curious to hear from blind engineers who are in the field.

Thank You,

Nic