[BlindMath] College student asking for advice

codeofdusk at gmail.com codeofdusk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 21:57:09 UTC 2021

Some thoughts on Nemeth and UEB:
UEB is the English Braille standard going forward, and with it the
mathematics code. If you care at all about writing in Braille with others,
UEB is definitely the better choice as time goes on. That said, you'll
probably be the only person to read and write Braille mathematics, using it
as a working code for yourself then translating to something like LaTeX for
sighted consumption, so it doesn't particularly matter if you write in UEB,
Nemeth, GS Braille [1], or some personal code/shorthand of your own design
as long as it's understandable to you.
The way I like to compare UEB and Nemeth is that the latter packs more
information into each cell, which is valuable in environments with limited
space like refreshable Braille displays, while the former is more consistent
and debatably easier to parse. I personally find UEB easier to work with
than Nemeth, but I'm not a heavy Braille user.
I'd start by looking at bits of these UEB [2] and Neemeth [3] tutorials and
seeing which system gels better with you.

Bill
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardner%E2%80%93Salinas_braille_codes
[2] https://uebmath.aphtech.org/
[3] https://nemeth.aphtech.org/