[BlindMath] Issue Accessing Formulae in Word File

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 16 23:20:30 UTC 2021

If the equations are created with MathType, then they are stored in the
docx file as an object that has its own format. MathType is the program
that reads that format, although the format is documented
<https://docs.wiris.com/en/mathtype/office_tools/mathtype-sdk/mtef4> and
one could potentially write something that reads that and converts it to
MathML. That then could be added to pandoc or NVDA or whatever and thereby
eliminate the need for MathType. AFAIK, no one besides Design Science (now
WIRIS) ever implemented a reader for that format. Obviously, it is a
non-trivial amount of work.

Neil Soiffer