[BlindMath] Mathematica

Rastislav Kish rastislav.kish at protonmail.com
Tue Jun 8 13:14:39 UTC 2021

Hey there,

I have tried Mathematica some time ago, and it was completely inaccessible.

I have asked the support if there was something I missed, but they have
replied that the software is not made with screenreaders in mind, so
unfortunately, it's not accessible.

Although, it may be worth noting, that the Wolfram kernel is a
standalone command line program, which you can use just fine with the
wolfram script syntax.

As for me, I'm personally not using either. I use Python for
mathematical stuff, which can do far more than Mathematica, Matlab or
any other isolated environment could ever imagine to do. Python is one
of the biggest programming languages out there, has a strong support for
mathematics and related sciences (tensorflow, numpy, sympy etc.)

I use SageMath as well, which unifies various tools like Maxima or R
under one, unified Python interface, so I have in my hands the full
power of one of the most powerful languages as well as all the power of
the most powerful mathematical tools out there.

Everything open-source, without having to pay a single cent.

With equipment like this, I personally don't see a reason to use
closed-source, proprietary commercial tools with limited abilities and
mostly isolated environments, not even mentioning the prices under which
they're sold.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 7. 6. 2021 o 20:49 Eric Mandell via BlindMath napísal(a):