[BlindMath] Mathematica

Rastislav Kish rastislav.kish at protonmail.com
Tue Jun 8 23:49:30 UTC 2021

Hey there,

well, that's not true.

Python can indeed do symbolic computations, SymPy is probably one of the
most popular packages to deal with it.

For example, you can calculate a derivative of a function like this:

from sympy import diff, symbols

a, t, v_0=symbols("a t v_0")

diff(1/2*a*t**2+v_0*t, t)

And it's similar for antiderivatives or definite integrals:

from sympy import integrate, symbols

a, b, x=symbols("a b x")

integrate(ax+b, x)

integrate(2*x+5, (x, 0, 10))

SymPy itself should be enough for many mathematical tasks, including
those you're describing.

If you want more convenience (for example in repl mode, where it may be
tedious to import all functions and modules, declare variables and to
use certain operators like ** for powers) or need some special
functionality (mathematics is a big field and it's not easy for one
package to include everything that's out there, even if it's as popular
as SymPy), you can still use SageMath.

As already mentioned, Sage combines the most powerful mathematical
libraries out there under one, unified Python interface, so you have
both advantages of one of the strongest programming languages and all
the mathematical libraries.

With a special focus on convenience, Sage has repl which for example
replaces the ** operator with ^ symbol, which is somewhat more practical
or imports everything you'd normally need in a symbolic computation session.

It has also its own notebook, based on Jupyter notebook if I remember
right, but with tweaks for Sage.

The usage with screenreaders is somewhat tricky, but it can be done with
some effort.

     Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 8. 6. 2021 o 22:42 Aqil via BlindMath napísal(a):