[BlindMath] JAWS appears to have broken electronic math accessibility

Rastislav Kish rastislav.kish at protonmail.com
Wed Jun 9 17:24:53 UTC 2021

Hey there,

hmm, I did not use Jaws seriously for more than year, so I don't quite
remember the details, but wasn't this always the way Jaws shaped its
MathML presentation engine?

I mean, the function was added in Jaws 17? Or 16? Not sure right now,
but I have feeling it was always like this. May be except for brackets,
here I'm not really sure, but I think the rest did not change, feel free
to correct me if I'm wrong.

i personally like the Jaws approach. I don't know MathSpeak or this Dr.
Nemeth, but when I'm reading your examples of how it's supposed to
sound, I feel like it would be one of those tools I'd throw out of
window under the first circumstance. :)

Like, it's really nice to have formally correct language, but what's
really the point if it makes things hard to read?

Unpractical technology is almost like no technology at all.

In your examples, most of the time i hear that something starts or ends,
with the really relevant information being overwhelmed by this
positional stuff.

Not even speaking about the lenght of the resulting message.

On the other hand, with the Jaws approach, I can focus on the relevant
parts without being disturbed by details. Like yes, these details are
pretty important, but I'm going to check out the formula in tree mode
anyway, so what's not spoken will be revealed sooner or later.

And as long as I know the layout, I no longer need to hear it, my brain
automatically maps relevant parts to their appropriate positions.

In other words, at least in my opinion, speaking math notation should be
about... well... speaking it, like you'd normally read it to a sighted
audience, not about data serialization.

Serialization is for computers, speech is for humans.

But thanks anyway for sharing. I'm working on math accessibility for
Linux, and i should definitely give this a second thought.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 9. 6. 2021 o 17:45 Brian Richwine via BlindMath napísal(a):