[BlindMath] Inaccessible math books

Michael Evers michaelevers at southalabama.edu
Mon Mar 1 14:53:32 UTC 2021

Hi,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Bookshare does not currently offer
math textbooks in the MathML Format.  Trying to find a vender with the
expertise to perform transcription services for converting math textbooks
into MathML is like pulling teeth.  The only solution is for you to try to
learn MathML and perform the conversions yourself.
	There are software programs that can do a lot of the work for you, but you
will still have to go through all of the mathematical expressions to make
sure that all of the transcriptions were performed correctly.  That task in
and of itself can take several months depending on how much time and human
resources you have at your disposal.  Most likely, converting these
textbooks into MathML is nothing more than a pipe dream until this pandemic
is over and venders make themselves available again.
	Good luck getting the textbook publishers to convert their materials into
MathML for you.  That task is even more impossible to accomplish, because
they don't care.  I know that I have tried getting textbooks converted into
MathML for one of my engineering students and have not been able to find any
venders willing or able to help my university at all.  Every vender that I
have reached out to, including UC Boulder and Georgia Tech Center for
Instructional Design have all said they do not have the human resources to
convert textbook materials into MathML, because of the COVID-19 pandemic,
but if they have materials in their repositories, they would gladly let me
have access to them.  The problem is, my student's professors are requiring
textbooks that are currently not in these vender's repositories.  So, we're
back to square one.  Good luck trying to find these resources.  Let us know
how it works out.

Michael