[BlindMath] Inaccessible math books

Sean Loraas sloraas at austincc.edu
Wed Mar 3 17:50:19 UTC 2021

Sabra,
Yes, I remember you, Sabra. I'm sorry to hear how awful your college
treated you and denied you your basic right to access the tools that the
other students were using. It sounds like they weren't fulfilling their
responsibility under the law to make every effort accommodate you and find
ways to make the course accessible,  therefore  violating their own college
policies, as well as federal and probably state disability laws by
discriminating based on your disability. If this is ever going to improve,
and if you want students who come after you at that institution to have a
better experience it's important to at least to file a formal grievance
with your school, to document that you were denied an equal opportunity to
experience the courses as your peers who were sighted. The course was
designed and used software and materials that deny access to individals
with visual disabilities.  Without a grevience, formal complaint, or law
suit there may be no record of this violation if your rights and therefore
no pressure for the college to change. Furthermore, students who are
treated the same after you cannot site your case to back up their own
complaint if there is no record that you had issues with  the way you were
treated. It may seem like it's just more trouble to go through in an
already awful experience, but at the very least I would encourage you to
look up the student complaint process at the school and fill out a
complaint to document your experience, so at least there is a record of it
that can be used by other students. This can help in showing that there is
a pattern of discrimination if your case is not an isolated incident and
there are others. You were treated wrongly, and the failure of your college
was forced to become your failure, which wasn't your fault, you could have
thrived if the tools were accessible. That wasn't your responsibility, but
now you have the responsibility to file a complaint so at least there is a
chance your terrible experience will have an impact on helping things to
change for other students whose rights are also violated. I'm so sorry you
didn't have a better experience. There is still an opportunity for you to
speak up that what you experienced was a violation of your rights,
discrimination based solely on your blindness.

I'm hoping those  here on this list can point Sabra to some resources to
help her document the problems she experienced with her institution. Good
luck going forward, I hope you can turn that unfair situation around and
find a way to make things better for yourself and others. That's the only
way to turn this deep rooted bias and discrimination into a win for
yourself. Document it so it can be a stepping stone to real change. You
don't have to fix it, but don't let your experience be lost, let there at
least be a record of it that can be found and used to build a case for
change. I hope you see a little hope in that, because I don't think most
people understand how devastating and dehumanizing it is on you, which is
why ADA and Section 508 must be enforced, because that is supposed to
protect you. When we fail to each do our part it results in terrible tragic
experiences for real people, with real lives.  Hang in there Sabra. Stay
safe! Watch the list for responses with some more resources to help you.

No barriers left standing, untill then, we cannot rest.

Sean Loraas

 Accessibility Technician
 Alt. Text & Media
   Austin Community College
   Eastview Campus
    Office: 2140

(Sent from my smart phone, please forgive any typos I failed to catch.)