[BlindMath] How good is Adobe Acrobat's conversion of PDF to HTML?

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Mar 3 20:47:59 UTC 2021

Hello Susan/Jonathan et al.,

In a production sense, Susan's advice is sound. The imperfections with the conversion and error checking make it quite inefficient, but...

I use this technique often. I'd rather have 95% accuracy today without equations than wait days for a human to read it to me or weeks for a production-house solution. If I can't tell that the material around the equations is good enough to bother getting the equations translated, then the resource isn't good enough for my students either.

N.B. I have the luxury of choosing which books I use. A production house like Susan's must work on the material chosen by course staff.

I must also observe that  the process is extremely hit and miss. Some books come out well enough while others are worse than reading the raw pdf. Mathematical content is often butchered beyond recognition, but sometimes that isn't the worst problem because it gets totally blotted out. Proper semantic structure is not always retained and the failure to capture such elements is table structure affect the ultimate value I put on the outcome.

Greater success seems to come with date of publication. More recent works do come out better. I had such a good run at one stage that I grabbed other books in the same series only to find that the publisher had obviously changed something at their end along the way.

The practice and teaching of statistics is undergoing quite a lot of change though so I'm now only really after books published in the last five years. Even then, I'm hugely focused on books that offer an online version, often via GitHub. My colleagues in Mathematics and Computer Science aren't quite as worried. Their choices around textbooks aren't always about the content (calculus is calculus) but what additional tools the staff or students get from selecting that particular text.

We might also want to remember that the most common point of educating people is so that they can find employment. Access to educational resources is hugely important, but for anyone who has moved on from their education , ongoing access to quality (up to date) resources could make the difference in how well they advance their career.

Jonathan G