[BlindMath] Advice for Z, T, and F distributions with JAWS?

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu Mar 4 01:55:50 UTC 2021

Hello Amy,

This is not off topic.

I'd ask why a spreadsheet solution is seen as the right way to solve the access issue.

Many scientific calculators used today have built in functions for the distributions, most notably the standard normal (z) distribution. If sighted students can use that sort of device, why can't the blind student use an accessible device instead.

I'd recommend use of R as a scientific calculator that has direct access to the standard normal and a plethora of other distributions. Typing `pnorm(1.96)` returns 0.975. Total of 11 key presses  and the enter key is much easier than going round in circles on a spreadsheet version of a printed table.

If R is not acceptable, then use Excel as the calculator and have a formula in one cell that prints the right value for the desired input. I'd see that as a better learning achievement for any student than using a complete table.

As an aside: The most modern courses in statistics have abandoned use of the printed tables for distributions. After all, practicing statisticians don't' use them so why should our students?

Jonathan