[BlindMath] Advice for blind biomedical engineering student

Lucas Nadolskis nadol012 at umn.edu
Fri Jan 21 18:36:45 UTC 2022

Hello Emily.
I appreciate your email and you sharing my frustration.
However, I believe I haven’t expressed myself correctly, for which I apologize.

The Office for Disability is doing 100% of what they can, indeed I have assistants that are helping me on a lot of things for interpretation of the visual content of classes and materials.
I am working closely with them on building the best access as I can.

My main point is that I like being independent and not need to rely on third parties that may take a long time to make the material accessible.
Me trying to convert the material by myself is a combination of tight deadlines, which my research requires ,and the fact that many papers are posted later during the semester.

I have been very successful on my classes so far, in big part due to their help.
However, when you find a paper that you need to read in a couple of days for a class or a research project it is very hard to have anyone doing it for you unless you have a full time transcriber dedicated only for you.
I am just trying to see if that are alternative ways that I could access these kind of material without anyones help.

I understand that the way I wrote seemed that I was much more frustrated, and again I am sorry for that.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards.

Lucas Nadolskis.