[BlindMath] Merged-Cell Columns in Excel and JAWS

tattenberg at gmail.com tattenberg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 23:25:09 UTC 2022

Hi there list,

I know a lot of you are way beyond Excel, but I got a question on the
matter. How can one get JAWS to announce merged-cell column headers when
arrowing through an Excel table? Say we got a table with four columns
devoted to debit, and four devoted to credit, their respective columns
having merged cell headers above them, spanning four columns each. I've
tried defining the data region using the word "Title", which normally
triggers JAWS to speak a column or row header in every cell, but in the case
of merged cells, I've found I only get the spoken column feedback in the
first column of the respective merged-header area - not the others. In my
example, you'd hear credit in just one of four columns, and Debit in one of
four columns.

Any ideas on how to fix the situation without removing the merger?

Best,

Trevor