[BlindMath] Good Intro to Stats Textbook?

vincentfmartin2020 at gmail.com vincentfmartin2020 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 03:55:24 UTC 2022

Hello,
There are very specific rules for most agencies or entities related to any
government in the USA.  I was the first totally blind student in the history
of the school he is attending, and I can say that he has it much, better
than I did when I first matriculated in 2010.  Any software must be on the
"State of Georgia" vendor list and be okayed for them to even get a single
site license.  It also has to get procured through the Office of Internet
Security as well.  It literally took an agreement with the school and the US
department of Education, by way of my third EEOC complaint, to get the full
access to a Statistics book in a class I was taking.  I literally got the
full book three months after the class had finished.  Thankfully, my degrees
were my sixth and seventh, so I was prepared to fight and knew what I needed
to succeed.
As is the case with most universities, the vast majority of disability
related issues deal with cognitive disabilities.  Georgia Tech had graduated
a number of students with low-vision, including a woman based in the same
building I as in and Branden is in now.  I even helped clear the way for a
mentee that is low-vision, due to Glaucoma, who is about to finish his
dissertation in Biomedical Engineering as well.  He has pretty good central
vision and can read pretty well with light magnification, but mostly uses
JAWS for computer work and reading of academic journals.  We finally got the
.PDF remediation working well enough so that he could easily get his journal
articles downloaded, remediated, and then read.
What my mentee and Branden is actually getting is a much better level of
assistance from the school's disability services office.  Once one person
kicks down the gate, others can then come.  The last time I graduated in
2018, a totally blind student enrolled from India in Internet Security.  She
had her share of issues, mostly related to orientation and mobility, but she
graduated on time and now works for Microsoft in Seattle.
Another very low-vision student enrolled two years ago in the Data Analytics
online master's program and is getting what he needs to complete his
coursework as well.
Unfortunately, it is hit or miss with most technical programs in the USA and
knowing which ones are amenable to your needs can be paramount to your
success.  The issue that a couple of blind women endured when they were
pursuing their Computer Science degrees at the University of Texas, Austin a
few years ago is truly disconcerting.  I've literally heard a professor that
did not have either of them in any of their classes, but though the
department and school treated them like crap.