[BlindMath] [EXTERNAL EMAIL] beginner material for math

Robin Williams Robin.Williams at atass-sports.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 11:01:26 UTC 2022

Hi,

This may not be particularly helpful, but there are various resources out there on the internet. The math content of Wikipedia is generally pretty good, although can vary in the level of expertise required. I'm sure there are other resources of a suitable level. The key thing is whether these web resources have been generated in a manner that is accessible to screen reader users, in particular do they make use of Mathjax / MathML, such that the mathematical content is accessible? Using JAWS you will easily be able to tell if a page is accessible, see Wikipedia for example. ֽFor NVDA, install Math Player.

In terms of books, there are doubtless plenty on Bookshare, although I can't comment on the accessibility of the mathematical content. The same goes for books from Amazon. Failing that you may be best off contacting the publisher or even the author. My line of work means I do not read many textbooks these days, and others on this list are in a better position to advise.

HTH,
Robin