[BlindMath] Ew: Current strategies regarding accessible mathematics

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 14 17:58:53 UTC 2022

I don't have anything to add to Dr. Godfrey's comprehensive answer  as far
as the current situation in accessible mathematics. However I do want to
point out some general facts about accessibility in higher education here in
the United States.

First, it is my understanding that it is primarily the responsibility of the
DSS (Disability Services) office at a college or university, not of the
professors, to supply materials in a special format such as braille. This
issue is addressed in this article:
https://www.washington.edu/doit/postsecondary-setting-who-responsible-provid
ing-braille-translation

Second, educators very likely do  have other professional and legal
obligations to  support accessibility.  The DO-IT program at the University
of Washington is an outstanding example of a program that supplies both
background information and training. Their main page provides links to
their guidance designed for Educators as well as their guidance designed for
several other groups including Students:
https://www.washington.edu/doit/

Susan Jolly