[BlindMath] We: Current strategies regarding accessible mathematics

Brian Dunn bd at bdtechconcepts.com
Tue Mar 15 03:42:10 UTC 2022

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 20:02:03 +0000
Jonathan Godfrey via BlindMath <blindmath at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> We will always be running to stand still until the tools that edit and
> process LaTeX offer the solutions of accessible content to the end user.
> Those tools must be as easy to use as the process that creates the pdf.

These days TeX4ht, LaTeXML, and Lwarp are very easy to use.  In the case of
math, is MathJax output sufficiently accessible?  What else could the tools
provide that would help?

As an aside, a flaw that I see in MathJax is the reliance on a server, so I
shall try to make Lwarp have a way to specify the server in an independent
user-adjustable CSS file instead of having the selection be embedded in the
HTML. Already I have seen a recommended server slow down at times with
today's typical demand. Imagine if the documents using MathJax increased by
an order of magnitude or two...

Brian