[BlindMath] Extension for improving math reading experience on Wikipedia

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 26 05:48:09 UTC 2022

Bill,

Those settings only apply the display math. The smaller inline math uses
"HTML math":  tags like sup, sub, and i to make the HTML look a bit like
math. Even for something like "f(x)", there are problems as the parens
(depending on your screen reader setting) won't be spoken so you just hear
"f x". The extension causes screen readers to speak the math using its math
speech rules. Also, because the text is converted to MathML, it will
braille appropriately.

    Neil