[BlindMath] About R and STATA education

Alican C Gokcek agokcek at unr.edu
Wed Sep 28 13:01:08 UTC 2022

Hi,
I'm a Ph.D. student in the department of Political Science at University of Nevada, Reno. I hope that this emails topic -accessible R and STATA education- doesn't deviate from expected discussion topics related to math. I am blind and would like to take any experience feedback or suggestions regarding establishing an accessible educational environment while learning a statistical software, predominantly R and STATA. In accordance with any of your feedback, I plan to request certain accomodations from my disability office at UNR. So far, I have been thinking about requesting a sighted assistance to go through visual tasks in R and STATA. Besides that, I thought about getting a Braille display to review tables. About tactile maps and graphs, what would you recommend me to use? More importantly, most of the statistics books are full of math equations. How can I read math equations by JAWS in a correct way? I am aware that I asked more than a few questions in this email. I hope to get at least some of the issues clarified by your help. thanks in advance for all responses.
Best.
Cagri