[BlindMath] Trouble With UEB

Shannon Pruitt sdpruitt99 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 14:05:56 UTC 2023

Neil, thank you for that great explanation to bridge the braille to the spatial math. The only thing I would add that may help is this…

The double numeric indicator sets numeric mode so you don’t have to continue to use the numeric indicator since adding the numeric indicator in some instances will increase the area taken up and also it could make it more difficult to vertically align some corresponding place values which is the entire point of spatial math.

In spatial print math, anytime there is a horizontal line that indicates an “equals” in the calculation.

As for the vertical horizontal line in long division, although in print we typically view the long division symbol as one symbol, it is made up of two symbols which are a vertical bar followed by a vinculum OR a right parentheses followed by a vinculum. A vinculum is a horizontal line/bar above values.

So in the case of Example 3 in the tutorial,  the problem is 12 divided by 4. Written out spatially in print it is written divisor vertical bar dividend (with vinculum) or 4 vertical bar 12 (with vinculum).  The answer or quotient then ends up on top of the vinculum so place values line up. The math to determine the answer gets worked below.

So in that same example you would have 4 vertical bar 12 (with vinculum) and the answer 3 is on top of 12 where the 3 lines up in the ones position.

Hope that helps and doesn’t make it any more confusing.

Shannon