[BlindMath] Entering Math in word

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 4 05:31:54 UTC 2023

The built in math editor in Word is not a full TeX input system. In many
ways, it is closer to ASCIIMath in that parens are used for grouping and
disappear when you switch from "linear" mode to "professional" mode. That
usually happens when you hit space. A couple of examples:
to get the square root of the quantity x+y, type \sqrt(x+y) <space>
to get a 2d fraction with x+y in the numerator and 2 in the denominator,
type (x+y)/2 <space>

One big caveat: I'm not a frequent user of the builtin math editor. There
are likely many ways to achieve the same thing. Using parens and space is
what I've gotten used to as that seemed to work somewhat consistently for
me.

Neil Soiffer