[BlindMath] Geometry help

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 12 17:00:14 UTC 2023

Well, its not really an answer to the original question but one way to
do geometry is to see it in your mind. In fact, in geometry, once you
get beyond 2 dimensions, you're mostly doing it in your mind whether you
can see or not. A math text book might make some attempts to show
pictures of 3 dimensional objects, for example when showing how to
calculate the volume of a sphere, but mostly that is left to the
imagination of the student. When you get into the geometry of complex
numbers, you might put the formulas on paper but you wouldn't attempt to
draw the solution. And, of course, at higher levels, objects beyond 3
dimentions are always imagined in one's head. Multi-dimentional geometry
is a big deal these days because it is used in areas of physics like
super string theory and super gravity theory.

My experience is that having to draw geometric figures is a liability.
Some time ago I proposed a geometry problem on a chat list for
mathematicians and the onese who did it in their head were much more
successful than those that insisted in drawing it. Of course, I invented
the puzzle myself and solved it without drawing it.

Again, it doesn't really answer the original question it's just that I'm
uncomfortable saying you can't do geometry without a physical model. If
you get far enough in math, you have to do that.