[BlindMath] SPSS and Jaws

David Engebretson Jr. accessible.engineering at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 07:01:07 UTC 2023

>From my personal experience I would suggest several things. Keep in mind
this is mostly subjective information, but some of the ideas might be
standard across all campus' and States:
* Keep in close contact with your Disabled Students Resources office at your
university regarding _anything_ you are struggling with, and make sure to
contact them sooner than later so they can help facilitate smooth contact
between the faculty to ensure you are at the top of all stakeholders minds
long before there is an emergency situation.
* Ensure you have a  healthy relationship with your states department of
services for the blind
* Find local communities of other disabled folks experiencing accessibility
issues on your campus. It's a great empathy builder to learn from other
people, no matter their ability.
* Be sure to sign up for the email lists from NFB and ACB regarding ways to
access mathematics in an accessible way as a blind person
* Make sure to sign up for Bookshare.org (it's free to students) so you'll
hopefully have quick access to books in your field of study
* Also sign up as a member of your local library so that you'll have quick
access to books that might not yet be available on Bookshare
*Also, if I remember right, there is a user group specific to SPSS and
accessibility. You might want to join that in interest of learning from
others what knowledge they have.
* And, if I remember right, SPSS has a vibrant community of folks (including
developers) who are interested in ensuring the success of disabled folks
pursuing mathematics studies). You may want to contact the folks who produce
SPSS  to ask them if they'd be willing to add you on-board as a
usability/accessibility tester. They might be able to point you towards
resources that aren't publicly available yet.
* The main thing I can suggest is consistent collaboration with your states
blindness resources and your universities disabled students resources
departments.
* Plus, some personal communication with your professors couldn't hurt. Open
and honest communication, especially at your level of learning, is always
appreciated by professors, in my humble opinion.

I hope this helps a little,
David