[BlindMath] Reading Math with NVDA

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 25 00:43:38 UTC 2023

Based on what you wrote, I am guessing that the problematic content was
written in MathML and that you are using MathPlayer for your math reading
experience. If that is true and you want to continue using MathPlayer:
1. open up the windows control panel
2. in the search panel (I think it opens with the focus in the search
panel), type MathPlayer and then open it
3. in the subject area drop down of the MathPlayer control panel, select
"Probability & Statistics"
4. under "Speech for chemical formulas" in the MathPlayer control panel,
choose the "Off (H sub 2 O)" radio button
5. click "ok"

This should remove the chemistry interpretation and add some specialized
speech for statistics.

You can also switch to using the MathCAT or Access8Math addons. I don't
believe either of them will generate chemistry speech. As the author of
MathCAT (and also MathPlayer), I can say the next MathCAT update does
support chemistry but is much better at distinguishing between chemistry
and math and won't make that mistake. Like MathPlayer, MathCAT also has an
option to turn off chemistry speech (accessible from the NVDA settings menu
if MathCAT is installed) in case it is overly aggressive at guessing that
something is chemistry. The next update of MathCAT is "any week now", but
sadly that's been true for about two months as I add tweaks and work with
translators for Vietnamese and Indonesian translations.

MathCAT currently has little to no rules for specialized speech for
statistics. I would be grateful if you or anyone else would file issues on
github <https://github.com/NSoiffer/MathCAT/issues> listing notations you
would like to hear pronounced better, whether it is statistics or anything
else. Adding speech for various topic areas will likely be a focus for
MathCAT improvement later in the year.

Neil Soiffer