[BlindMath] Mathpix versus InftyReader

Sean Loraas sloraas at austincc.edu
Wed Jul 5 13:00:00 UTC 2023

I can speak to the similarities between inftyreader and mathpix.  Both
applications convert images of text that include technical notation into
actual text and equations, in a variety of output formats like MS Word with
Equation Editor or MathType equations, LaTeX, or HTML with equations in
MathML/MathJax.

InftyReader was the first application to be able to do this, and was the
first application that enabled the automated conversion of text and math
files from content that was visually readable but not accessible to screen
reading software or text to speech. Prior to inftyreader I was limited by
having to enter all math by hand, typing, or in rare cases copying and
pasting, math from PDFs, or other formats into a word doc with MathType or
equation editor, or with Scientific Notebook. The only other solutions were
methods that employ equally manual input methods with other markup like
LaTeX.

Inftyreader made it possible to convert larger files of mixed math and text
to a variety of more usable output formats that could be used to produce
digital formats like audio, braille and screen reader accessible formats.
But, it was very specific about input: it needs the highest quality (400
dpi minimum, 600 recommended) tiff image files. (Adobe can be configured to
output the right format). Then columns had to be separated, and all images
removed.

Initially MathPix was focused on the digitizing of shorter passages using
the convenient snip tool to capture & convert math in literally any
environment on a computer. If there is text  and/or math displayed on the
monitor long enough to draw a box around, Mathpix can capture and convert
it to propper text and equations. It's accurate with a wide variety of
fonts, and does pretty good with low quality, to a point.

Mathpix is run with nimble and responsive customer service, having
contacted me early in their development to investigate our use case and
develop functions that we suggested, specifically for the accessibility
remediation workflow, like PDF conversion and capturing tables.

With improvements for capturing PDF files, and the ability to use their
Mathpix markup language as a stepping stone to learning LaTex mark-up, With
regular improvements and added features,  Mathpix has completely replaced
my use of inftyreader for larger files, and has become invaluable to my
workflow for converting STEM course materials at scale.

I believe TextHelp Equatio was built on MathPix technology, but in my
experience, I found Equatio to be cost prohibitive for document
remediation, but had value for students as an accommodation. Mathpix is the
most versatile, user friendly, and affordable math, chemistry, technical
notation OCR software that I've ever used.

Sorry for such a long email. Hope that helps. Best!
Sean Loraas
 Accessibility Technician
 Alt. Text & Media
 Austin Community College