[BlindMath] Programming with young blind and visual impaired students

Jonathan Godfrey A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu May 25 01:09:45 UTC 2023

Hello Niels,

I'm interested in what others can share on this topic. My children (all sighted but kept anyway) like the idea of programming and I'm wanting to be part of what they do. If they use the options on offer via their schools, I am left out in the cold.

I'd add to Robert's suggestion about a Braille display by noting that while screen readers can announce the indentation quite adequately, they do not read upper and lower case letters within lines of text so easily and the various brackets needed make use of literary Braille less efficient.

My Braille display is set to 8 dot computer Braille all the time because the main reasons I have one is for syntax and spelling accuracy. While that is relevant for coding, it is also relevant for proof-reading prose.

I do think your decisions really should be driven by accessibility on one hand, but equally importantly, the nature of the tasks you want the users to be tackling.

I think for example that if they are to learn about geometric shapes including lengths and angles, that using a turtle graphics implementation might be nice. I wouldn't suggest the R based implementation I use though. Even a task involving regular polygons to prove that you can return to the point of origin has value to an eight year old. An implementation that records coordinate position is required for this idea.

Good luck,
Jonathan