[BlindMath] Accessible Rudin?

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 09:11:01 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

I am looking for an accessible copy of Rudin's Principles of
Mathematical Analysis. I can work with just about any format--audio,
LaTeX, brf, other---so long as the material is actually accessible. I
found versions on Bookshare and on Kindle, but I don't believe these
are going to work for me. The math does not seem to have been rendered
accessibly.

By way of background, I have an MS in math from the University of
Virginia. I studied math for a few years past that point and am ABD,
but ultimately decided to focus on other things for a few years (well,
more like a couple decades). For some time, I've wanted to revisit
math, and I thought that undergraduate-level analysis and algebra
courses might be a good place to start.

I'm working my way through an engaging series of real analysis
lectures on Youtube (http://analysisyawp.blogspot.com/). It's quite
comforting to realize I haven't entirely forgotten everything! But
still, I'd like to find a copy of Rudin, which is what the professor
used for this particular course. (BTW, he says that the text isn't
strictly necessary for those following along at home, and I would
agree with that. But I'd still like to have the option.)

I believe we actually used a different text when I took this course
way back in 1996, but I seem to remember ordering Rudin from Learning
Ally (RFB&D in those days). Learning Ally offers the book I believe we
used (by Bartle) as a download, but I couldn't find Rudin's book in
their catalog. So as far as I can tell, a book that I was able to
obtain back in the late 90s or early 2000s doesn't seem to be easily
obtainable in a truly accessible format today.

If anyone has any suggestions for resources, I'd very much appreciate
hearing from you. While I'm particularly interested in Rudin's book,
I'd welcome information about similar texts that I might be able to
obtainin some reasonably accessible format.

Best,

Angie