[BlindResearch] Introduction and question

Eric Guillory eguillory at louisianacenter.org
Thu May 31 22:11:34 UTC 2018

Hi Conchita. You are quite correct that this can become a point of fierce, if well-meaning, contention. I have experienced this to a small degree in my own doctoral program but more so in conversations with other professionals in the blindness field. Choice of words matter, but it can be mentally exhausting to keep up with the ever-changing verbiage of best practice (e.g., multiple involvements as opposed to disabilities, general education rather than regular education classrooms). Hopefully, no matter the sometimes ephemeral nature of terminology, the substance of one’s writing remains of a high caliber and is considered above anything else.

I understand the arguments on both sides of this meaningful issue and tend to blend my terminology between identity-first and person-first language. The compromise seems to work in my academic writing. However, in conversation, when discussing individuals who are blind or visually impaired (person-first), I will almost always use identity-first language. Using person-first language in conversation seems stilted and underwhelming. That having been said, I do this for blindness but tend to continue to refer to other disability populations in person-first language.

In closing, no matter the words we choose (either in writing or the spoken word), expectations ultimately decide what degree of dignity, humanity, and equality we ascribe to anyone—whether presenting with a diagnosed disability or otherwise. By utilizing the language style selected by the traditionally-minded source, you may, through publication, be able to inculcate a greater number with the philosophy that, having worked with you, I know underpins your research. All the best!

Eric Guillory, Director of Youth Services
Louisiana Center for the Blind
101 South Trenton Street
Ruston, LA 71270
Voice: 800-234-4166
Fax: 318-251-0109
Twitter: ericguillory
Skype: brllovingdad
www.louisianacenter.org<http://www.louisianacenter.org/>

“Together, we are changing what it means to be blind