[BlindResearch] [VisuallyImpairedResearch] - Silent Speech for Text Entry

Ricardo Gonzalez reg258 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 26 13:23:13 UTC 2021

Hello all!

My name is Ricardo Gonzalez. I'm a PhD student at Cornell Tech, Cornell
University, studying how to implement new input interfaces in mobile
applications for people with visual impairments. If you could share this
recruitment notice through your networks I would appreciate it:

" Hello! Our research groups at Cornell University and the Michigan
Technological University are studying the accessibility of silent speech
entry for users with visual impairments, particularly whether it’s possible
to use it as a means of text entry. For this first iteration, we’ve created
an online website with an accessible keyboard and we’re conducting a study
to gather information about our virtual prototype. We’re recruiting
participants who are 18 or older and have a visual impairment to test the
feasibility of our prototype and give us feedback/suggestions for
improvements. All you need to participate in is to have a smartphone.

This study will be completed remotely over web-conferencing software, e.g.
Zoom.

Participation includes 3 parts: an introductory interview, the experiment
where we will have you enter text while recording your actions, and a
follow-up interview. In the first interview, we will ask for some basic
demographics information. Then we will explain to you how to access and use
our webpage, and once you are comfortable with using it, we’ll give you
some prompts to enter text through our online keyboard. In the follow-up
interview, we’ll ask about your experience and feedback, which we’ll use to
keep improving our prototype.

Your identity will be kept completely anonymous if we publish the results
of the study. Participation would take approximately 45 minutes total, and
we would provide a $15 Amazon gift card as compensation for your time.

If you’re interested in participating, contact us at reg258 at cornell.edu
(Ricardo) to let us know so that we can send you the consent form and
schedule a video-conferencing call! "

Thank you and have a great day!

Regards,

Ricardo Gonzalez Penuela,