[BlindRUG] Measures of modality: understanding distribution shapes

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Thu Jul 30 13:52:02 UTC 2015

Richard Pring wrote a book on trend analysis and gave the criteria for
several different chart shapes in that book too.  The criteria was given
in both text and shown as graphics if I remember correctly.
Unfortunately I don't remember the title of that book or other details
now.  It most certainly is not in any accessible form by now but may
provide a useful reference.  The technicians that do trend analysis
developed a language to describe their graphics and for large data sets
it may be helpful to provide a key with each of the different kinds of
chart types found in the data with textual definitions of those terma
along with the data set and a narrative of the data set.  The narrative
would describe in terminology taken from the provided key which chart
types apply in what order for for what percentiles of the data in the
data set starting from beginning and moving to the end of the data set.
No sonification or tactile display then need be used.  Discussion of the
implications of each chart type described in the narrative can then be
left to the audience and presenters involved.