[BlindRUG] qqplots, was Some Questions

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Fri Jun 12 22:35:13 UTC 2015

Hi Tyler et al.,

This is a good discussion topic.
I do believe the qqplot() has its place; this is why it remains part of the output generated by UniDesc()

I think you're being a little harsh on the qqplot. Your comments re the usefulness are correct, but there are instance where the qqplot is an extremely useful tool, such as detecting significant effects in a 2^k factorial design with no replicates, or a partial fraction of one I plan to implement a VI() summarisation of the qqplot() for this reason alone.

Your comments re the hypothesis tests for normality are true, but they are true for practically all hypothesis tests and not just normality tests.

The key thing about the normality of a large data set is that it almost certainly means the central limit theorem kicks in and the need for normality is hugely reduced. In such circumstances, the need to test for normality is often redundant because we "know" what we should be expecting with enough forethought anyway. Our other methods of checking a distribution for the sample and therefore the population can be used instead of qqplot().

In cases where the sample size is small and the population's distribution is unable to be determined, the tests really should not be used as a scape goat for failing to have sufficient data in the first place.

Your comments re skewness and kurtosis are spot on, but the introductory student doesn't know about hypothesis testing when they first encounter the need to determine normality in their exploratory data analysis.

Finally, do be careful when using skewness and kurtosis as there are different measures for both notions. I've been very careful to explicitly state the particular test and measure for each in the UniDesc() output for this reason.

Jonathan