[BlindRUG] Sharing Successful Braille Labelling Test

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Jun 15 01:57:24 UTC 2015

Hello,

I used your example and found a few problems, some of which I have an answer for and some I don’t.

First, the braille font isn’t friendly with the pdf creation inside R. This means we will need to use an alternative format for distribution. I suggest using SVG.

Second, the braille I got when I embossed the example image was quite small. Too small for regular users and I only managed to assess that the braille was correct because I knew what to expect. This might be resolved with the use of a better font than the one used in the example, but it will be better to hard code the font size to be what is desired. (I’m looking into that.)

Finally, we will probably want to rotate the braille so that it is all embossed horizontally. The y-axis tick marks are 90 degrees out at present. This is achievable using standard R graphics commands for any print.

As an aside, I also have the problem of no y-axis label being printed so the image is not fitting properly on the paper I am using. Some work to do at my end I expect, but I am confident that my embosser is using default settings so perhaps anyone else using a Premiere 100 would have the same problems.

Jonathan