[BlindRUG] Emacs for Statistical Applications with Screen Readers

Liz Hare doggene at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 20 13:30:25 UTC 2017

Hi Laxmisagar,

I think it's pretty difficult to use a screen reader with Emacs in Windows, unless you can get Emacspeak running. There is a port of Emacspeak for Windows but it's not in wide use and I don't have direct experience with it.

I do use R with Emacspeak on Mac and have also done it on Linux. Emacs has a package called Emacs Speaks Statistics (ESS) that facilitates running R interactively. I like this setup but it has a pretty steep learning curve and I kind of learn the bits and pieces I need as I go along.

Liz