[BlindRUG] our first meet up

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Jun 28 21:37:04 UTC 2020

Hi all,

This meet up is set down for July 2nd at 20:00GMT

The session will be conducted in English; that might seem obvious, but I believe there may be some participants whose English is their second (at least) language. Some of us (especially me) may need to speak a little slower than normal. We will introduce ourselves, so please be prepared to speak just a little. The bare minimum would be your name and where you're from; where in the world you live (it might be different) and how you use R. The round of introductions will be followed by a chat with the Access team from RStudio. At this stage we are expecting both team members.

A little before the start time, please join the meeting at
https://massey.zoom.us/j/95492069100

This is a Zoom meeting. If you have not joined a Zoom meeting before, then I recommend you click on the link above sometime between now and the meeting just to see if you need to download the add-on for your browser, and how to run the test dialogue so that we can hear each other.

We're all different in how we do things, but I join Zoom meetings by clicking on the link provided by the host; this opens my browser (Google Chrome) and I then get asked to open the Zoom meetings app. To do so means hitting `tab` once to get to the "open zoom meetings" and hitting the `enter` key. Zoom opens and I hear a message telling me I've joined the meeting.

I probably test my audio settings about once a week, but this is mostly just paranoia. I do so when I switch headsets as well. If you have not done this before then do give it a try. I think the test dialogue is about as good as any I've used. There are different buttons for testing your audio, one for incoming and one for outgoing. When you test your speakers (even if that isn't how you will listen) you get asked if you can hear a ring tone. I initially wondered what they meant as that isn't what I call a ring tone, but I was hearing a sound that wasn't me or anyone in my house. I clicked `yes`. I have needed to click `no` on another test, and it tried to use a different audio output device connected to my PC which turned out to be what I needed. The microphone test is reassuring. You need to hit the test button and then say something. I have found that the prompt to say something did not always get spoken aloud, but I think that was a screen reader issue. I just say "hello 1 2 3" or something like that and wait to hear myself a few seconds later.

I wholly recommend not playing with your microphone levels unless something is going wrong. Zoom will lift the volume of your voice for the rest of us if it thinks you are a little low. If pain persists then you have time to ask for help.

OK, looking forward to putting some voices to names.
Jonathan