[BlindRUG] Presenting charts and data online

Liz Hare doggene at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 9 16:49:08 UTC 2021

Hi Robin,

I really agree with you about the inaccessibility of media data visualization. I've always needed access to it for my work, but it seems more and more that it's necessary for responsible citizenship as well, between covid and recent important elections. Here in the States, it's government as well, both at the Federal and New York State levels.

I'm going to list some resources that you might want to point out when you contact the BBC.

Here's a link to the Chartability project on GitHub:
https://github.com/Chartability/POUR-CAF

Frank Elavsky has created this accessibility audit for data visualization with input from data visualization and accessibility experts. There's a more general website at:
https://chartability.fizz.studio

It's incredibly detailed and technical.  It focuses more on the kinds of visualizations that can actually be made accessible rather than alt-text.

At the other end of the spectrum, there's this brief but very useful article:
https://medium.com/nightingale/writing-alt-text-for-data-visualization-2a218ef43f81

Also, Silvia Canelón and I did a small study on #TidyTuesday submissions. TidyTuesday is a weekly activity on Twitter where a data set is assigned and people practice making data visualizations based on that data. We looked at how many of the submissions had alt-text, how that changed over time, and I came up with a rubric to determine how complete they are.  The slides in the GitHub repo are at:
https://spcanelon.github.io/csvConf2021/slides/indexLH.html#1
The GitHub repo, which contains accessibility resources in the README.md file, is:
https://github.com/spcanelon/csvConf2021
The talk is at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLkv2iRdf8

I hope these  help and I'm looking forward to see if anyone else has suggestions.

Liz